Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Strawberry Fields Forever

I don't know if it was the year of fulfilling my wants that had led me to these cross junctions, which look like dead-ends to me. All the mental and emotional preparations regarding the predicted consequences were thought to be executed in the best manner. All the strength trained to be possessed keeps disappearing on me.

I remember being greatly affected by the words of Foucault, even till this very day. And then today i encounter yet another moment, which left a bitter-twitch to my face. when you learn about the mechanisms behind the media that we live with everyday, you can't help but wonder; where should you stand within all of these dominance?

Imagine when MTV's profit hit a billion,they knew that their target market was precisely the youth of today. And when along the years the rating went a little further down, (because it seemed that the viewers felt that it was no longer COOL and hence,were not into their programmings anymore), MTV discovered that in order to keep their viewer's ratings on top, they had to figure out what was cool/not cool within the youths of today. Market researchers make extensive studies in determining what these kids actually like or don't. They needed to grasp onto the trends that followed their lifestyles.

It disgust me that the richest of the world are generating their income through the masses. Sure, you can argue that its a form of choice,that people have the liberty of choosing their preference of media materials. But no matter how variable the preferences can get, we will always be serving to the pockets of somebody. Even if you were not just a viewer, contributing to these corporations are merely ways of keeping the system going.
We are functioning their wants, because they claim to function our needs.
Given that our needs can be products of study, where do i place the meaning of my needs?
you can't run away, neither can you be excluded from this entire machine.
you comfort yourself, saying that its okay, as long as I live my life in a way that its meaningful through my understandings..

I remember a friend saying this during the screening of 'Running' at the Annexe, that "it's just easier to pretend that it's not there, to just ignore what is happening".

and then you know what The Beatles sang? "Living is easy with eyes closed"....

No comments: