Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Nomad

I'm starting to detect my routines here and i must say,it requires a lot of road trips to different locations for different reasons. The only constant element of this pattern is the fact that i'm living the local lifestyle, just adapting to their culture into my everyday life.
I use to think that 'adaptation' was a part of who I am, because I do it far to well. It scares me to how easy it is for me to come and go, as and when I please. The problem with this cycle is that you will never find something solid,or stationary to depend on. All you really have is you. The Self. The mind being the safety net, and the emotions being the driver. Ofcourse these roles switch every now and then, but when you're far away in a land so foreign from what you call 'home', you somehow allow feelings to break-loose.
Last week, I slept in 5 different beds within 7 days. Sometimes you sink into this state of mind, questioning your ways because you no longer grasp on to rules of living. When you start to query your nomadic behaviour, you'd have to stop because there's just no reason for you to say 'NO' to anything, at this point of time.

Rosario ,Argentina.

It's so easy to decide on destined destinations and it's times like this that you feel so accomplished.
The drive there was amazing because you have to cross this river, Rio Parana, which is like a delta, so huge that it stretches out to more than 10 kilometres! Imagine seeing a river on a highway that takes you above it, all the way till you see the view of sky scrappers from a distance. Crossing one bridge after the other,overlooking gorgeous greenery growing on the river --i was amazed.
Rosario is one of those cities with an enticing beauty born out of the days of colonization, just like most of the developing countries in this world. It's history is evident in the way art is expressed through architecture as well as landscaping. Like every other city out there, it's got the modernization as well as the traditional parts of the city. The European influence is very much evident in the way the city is structured. Most of the locations I wanted to visit were old and were very important during Argentina's Dirty War in 1976-1983.
Societies that had once fought for liberty or freedom due to suppressive governments tend to have after-effects that are rather radical. When I say radical, I mean in ideologies. These ideologies contribute to expressive behaviours of Argentinians, which can be seen on the streets of Rosario.
More importantly, Rosario is the birthplace of Ernesto 'Che' Guevara (whom may be a complete loser to most people) but a very well respected figure here in Argentina, and perhaps, a symbolic propaganda in the eyes of the world too. I visited his hometown, and the people had build a big recreation park in his honour.
I quickly got into my 'tourist mode' and demanded my picture taken with his monument.
What was also intriguing was this old railway station that has been abandoned nearby. As usual, the British had developed railway systems in this part of the world. But to stroll around an old railway station, with grass growing over old tracks, was a nostalgic experience! To just imagine that once upon a time this railway use to be a busy location is quite mind blowing.
Secretly, I had experienced Rosario's night time in a whole different state of mind. It is dirty, messy and old, yet developing, and to me, that makes Rosario even more beautiful.
I'm glad I had my first experience there, despite the shortage of time..
There's just nothing greater than entering a whole new place with no expectations, but just an open spirit, to absorb whatever that may cross your path.

No comments: