Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Simple,simple Life.

Paysandu - a small town about 360+ km away from Montevideo is a nothing but little surprises for one to discover.
The perfect timing for a journey there would be around evening time, where the sun shines through the stretches of flat greenland, and slowly slips away from the horizon. Yes,i have an obvious fascination for the changing skies, but it is rather hard to not love it,no?
If there was something typical to note of the Uruguayo culture, it would be the image of horses or cows or sheep and the farms. We call it the 'cowboy' image, which is rather Americanized. But i guess that is what folklore tends to portray,historical traces of how mankind use to live within agriculture environments. The coolest thing about road trips is when you spotted random individuals taking a stroll in the middle of no-where, hitch-hikers or even bikers riding out of god-knows-where. It was my turn to drive and I was giving out free thumbs-up to anyone i spotted on the road.Though the roads aren't exactly in the best condition, over-taking large trucks will be a useful skill to develop!

I adore Paysandu, there's just something so simple about it that calms me down. Though it is easy to get annoyed with how slow and inefficient the lifestyle can get, you just end up wondering, 'what's the hurry in the first place?'
If there is one thing that i can learn to be embarrass of being a city girl, is how i feel the constant need to be occupied for the sake of progress. Productivity is key to our daily existence, and it is very much embedded in our functionality. I am learning the mechanisms to my mentality, and what makes me feel better as a human. And I must say, some of the factors can be pretty pathetic.

A weekend getaway on a sail boat reminded me of my overdue desire to own a boat someday. How do i know this?
The moment the boat sailed away from land, a creepy sense of relief and comfort rushed through my body. Packing 'necessities' became rather subjective, compared to the time I had to pack for this entire trip. I bought less than what I had utilized, which was practically a pair of bikini, a top and shorts, and okay,maybe the dress, which i had initially wore to sail away. My toiletries remained handy despite the fact that the boat had no 'bathroom', but only a tiny toilet bowl for immediate needs. After the first night, i used the toilet less and was very,very much acquainted with the river. How unusual it is to feel absolutely liberated to take a bath in the river.Basically, you have a choice of taking a bucket or water, or ideally, to just jump off from which ever side of the boat. AS YOU PLEASE!
I had the stupidest grin in my face in the middle of no-where.

Rio Uruguay. Uruguay River.
You sail up the stream,overlooking Argentina on one side, and Uruguay on the other. It is so easy to feel in control when you can view two countries with one perspective.
I had zero worries and not the slightest sense of Fear during the entire journey. Best of all, the rediscovery of silence was magnificent. When you think you know how it feels to be silent, think again. There are far too many layers of silence that we are not associated with. Worst still, I was reminded of how our lives are filled with distractions on so many levels. The result of emptiness without these distractions is precisely, ONE OF the boundary to a sense of "Freedom"(relative.again)
So if there would be reasons for me to live here in Uruguay, it would be this river, and definitely,DEFINITELY my own damn boat!And I'll be okay.

1 comment:

Petals of a Daisy said...

its gorgeous. let's swap lives!