Wednesday, January 6, 2010

South America-Round 2

..I have a feeling i´m going to start writing again.
Day 3 in Uruguay and it has been interestingly relaxing so far. My first SA trip was during winter and i must say, being here in summer time gives a whole different vibe. After about 27hours plane ride across the globe, I landed in Montevideo´s new airport. I was impressed with the new architecture and was told that it was merely 5 days since its started functioning. Lucky me, i guess.
After an overnight stay in Montevideo, I ventured my way to Punta Del Este, a very much popular spot during summer in Uruguay.People from Argentina , North of Uruguay and even Brazil will make their way to this place every summer. NO doubt, its beauty will diminish any kinds of question one might have.
Upon arrival the beach was filled with colourful umbrellas and chairs, while people were baking themselves under the sun. Previously, this stretch of beach was empty because it was way too cold. But this time, I´ve never seen so many people on beach since I was in New York´s beaches when summer kicked in. People go frantic especially after winter, to just head out to the sea and be with the sun.
I know Malaysians are suppose to ´be used´to the heat but this sunlight is something else! it pierces way too deep into the skin and within the first day i was out in the sun, i got burnt.
It is easy to see how Punta del este is the playground for the rich, especially when you compare it to the other provinces. People who pay their visits here most certainly have spending capabilities. Logically, since it only comes to live once in a year, prices are marked up!
Living in a quaint little summer house close to the beach couldnt get any better for me. I´m fortunate enough to have this family take me in as a part of their family. Every meal is an enjoyable one for me,especially when the barbecue pit is frequently used.
These people make it look so easy to utilize the barbecue area and it is very much embedded in their daily lives. I cant imagine finding a single home here in South america without a barbecue pit.
What makes it more special is that its a distinctive culture that comes along with it. A meal session (mostly during dinner time) would include vino(wine) or cerveja(beer), meat, queso(cheese) and great companions. Family is such an important element in this society and it just touches my heart to observe their close relations.
The fact that the sun goes down around 9pm is rather peculiar for me. The days are longer and people are seriously just chilling out.
I look forward to whip up some adventures for the next days,and more importantly, to quickly pick up the language to build more connections..........

No comments: