Thursday, December 25, 2008

That sudden-Tiny glass Crack.

On a regular round-table dinner night, he was somewhat uneasy,unusually uncomfortable. Mother goes," what's wrong with you, are you not feeling well?"
He kept his eyes locked into our expressions and grunts an unwilling answer,"nothing".
Mother continues her persistence and goes, "did someting happen to you just now?"
and father adds in by saying,"Did somebody BULLY you on the fields just now??"
Still staring deeper into our eyes, He mutters under his breath,"NO,nothing la".
And then I saw it. that face.That expression I know so well.I felt it coming through me and crawling deep inside my skin.
"I know that expression",i thought to myself.
That sudden tiny-tiny glass crack.
not shattered,not broken,and still intact.but,just...Cracked.
He was holding it in with al his might. I could feel his strength to maintain control.
"so thats how It looks like when you're all broken-up inside yet remain focused on the outside",I thought.
..that slight twitch on the corner of the lip, the half-raised eyebrows, that tight-muscled cheeks, those gritted teeth. That tension yet relaxed posture.
he finally blurted out in a shaky yet steady voice," I dreamt I Died."
There it was.Those simple sentence, coming from his much-too young heart.
I stared at him knowingly.
The parents reacted differently,suggesting alternative ideas to what his words really meant.
"What do you mean?" they said.
"You had a bad dream is it?A nightmare",they continued.
I saw his frustration, as he repeated the exact same words,"I dreamt I DIED!"
"you mean you couldnt move onn the bed is it, like a ghost sitting on you?", they responded.
I couldnt help but say," NO, I GET WHAT HE MEANS??OH MY GOD."
They gave me a funny look as I look over to him and felt an unexpected desire to crack-up just like him.
Eventually, he gave up and darted upstairs echoing,"nevermind,forget it".
He left the parents in confusion on the table, while I just continuously repeated "i get him,i understand, HE DREAMT HE DIED".
"you should go and talk to him then",the father exclaimed.
I kept quiet and somehow didnt manage to do so, How could i possibly make him understand that I truly did understand what he felt. To why his dream caught him off-guard and had silently traumatised his entire day.
Thats when I saw a tiny part of my past in him, that undying silence.Those buried emotions simply because you think people dont understand anyway,why bother?
For a few days now, I realise the whole situation somehow mattered to me, as it was kept on replay-mode in my head.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude...u should talk to him and let him know that he's not alone...u know what i mean..a younger bro shouldnt be left alone wondering..in a way..